Tuesday, January 7, 2014

White Washing the Beams

There were a couple of reasons we decided to keep the beams exposed for the media room...
   -It would be too closed-in/low if we sheetrocked the ceiling at the height of the beams.
   -If we enclosed the beams in sheetrock it would look too modern for our taste & the style of the rest of the house.

The only problem was that in addition to the original 1700's beams, there were some newer boards that had been added through the years.  You could clearly see the difference between the hand-hewn beams and the new ones.  
You can see the new beams tucked
behind some of the old beams.

To make them blend together better, we decided to do a white wash on them.  I think this will also make the room feel higher than if we kept them dark.

I mixed roughly two parts of water with one part paint and got to work.  I had to get used to the drippiness of the paint, but once I got started it went fairly quickly (for having to do all four sides of each beam!)
Before

After
Before

After










Before

After




























An added bonus is that the roman numerals on the hand-hewn beams now really pop!


You may also have noticed that Mike got a coat of primer on the rest of the room.
Next up is adding some color!


1 comment:

  1. I love beams, I think the white wash works. Thanks for sharing your progress. Happy New Year. Richard from My Old Historic House and Sissy Dog too.

    ReplyDelete