Monday, November 18, 2013

Attic Beams

While I've posted photos that show the exposed beams in the attic, I don't think I've specifically called them out...

They are the original beams from when the house was built (1760-1790ish).  There are roman numerals carved into them, showing the order they were to be built!
Unfortunately, they don't show up that well in the compressed photos...
IIIX


IIX

X

We've decided that we're going to leave the beams exposed for the finished room.  The drywall will go up from the knee wall, along the slanted roof, up to the very top triangle where the electrical boxes have been installed (it will be flat at the very peak of the roof for the full length of the room).  This should make the room feel much taller than if we were to install the sheetrock across the bottom of the beams.

I think "white washing" the beams will help make the room feel more airy, and not as divided by the horizontal beams.  It should also mask the difference in look of the newer support beams that have been installed more recently (yet still prior to us).
And I just love that the history of the house's construction won't be covered up!

No comments:

Post a Comment