We wanted to add an outlet in here. We only have one outlet on the other side of the room (very common to have an outlet shortage in houses built before the advent of electricity!)
Unfortunately, they tried to snake the wire down from the attic and they can't get through. There's some sort of cross beam or solid structure in that wall (not totally suprising, since it's an exterior wall).
| BEFORE |
Unfortunately, they tried to snake the wire down from the attic and they can't get through. There's some sort of cross beam or solid structure in that wall (not totally suprising, since it's an exterior wall).
So, now we have two holes that need to be patched & painted (ugh!) Our new plan is to have the outlet added when we do the extension, since we'll be adding new construction to the other side of this wall.
| AFTER- FAIL! |
But it wasn't all bad news for this room... we did get a light switch installed!
I was amazed when we moved into this house and there were NO overhead lights in any of the bedrooms- just ceiling fans (with pullchains).
Step one of remedying this is complete. We now have a light switch to turn the fan on & off.
Of course, there's always a little unexpected excitement... apparently there was very little holding the fan to the ceiling above our bed! It required some framing work (which was easily accessed from the open attic floor). I'm now worried about the support structure holding the fans in the kids' rooms- we'll be checking that out!
Anyways, I wish I had thought to buy a new light fixture for here before this stage of the electrical work (like we did for the attic hallway) but I didn't even think of it. I hope to have them install a new fixture for us when they come back to finish up the attic!
Related posts:
The Electric Plan
The Attic Electric
The Upstairs & Attic Hallway Electric
| BEFORE |
| AFTER- but needing a new switch plate! |
Step one of remedying this is complete. We now have a light switch to turn the fan on & off.
Of course, there's always a little unexpected excitement... apparently there was very little holding the fan to the ceiling above our bed! It required some framing work (which was easily accessed from the open attic floor). I'm now worried about the support structure holding the fans in the kids' rooms- we'll be checking that out!
Anyways, I wish I had thought to buy a new light fixture for here before this stage of the electrical work (like we did for the attic hallway) but I didn't even think of it. I hope to have them install a new fixture for us when they come back to finish up the attic!
Related posts:
The Electric Plan
The Attic Electric
The Upstairs & Attic Hallway Electric
No comments:
Post a Comment